This month, Mandy and I discuss how police licensing agencies can weed out bad cops, what 911 calls EMS could take over from police, and unveil a new jingle from Just Liberty and the Austin Justice Coalition aiming to oust Austin police Chief Brian Manley. Here’s what’s in this month’s episode:
- Police licensing agency in Texas undergoing comprehensive review: How to fix it. (2:50)
- EMS union head tells how police responses to 911 calls can be reduced: Analyzing Austin 911 call-center data. (12:17)
- New jingle from Just Liberty, Austin Justice Coalition, calls for Austin police chief’s ouster. (23:25)
Something, Nothing, or Everything?
- Reviewing new Texas public opinion polling on criminal-justice topics. (31:07)
- Progressive challenger Jose Garza defeats incumbent Margaret Moore in Travis County District Attorney primary runoff. (35:15)
- Audit of Houston PD Narcotics Division finally released (38:23)
The Last Hurrah
- 5 years since Sandra Bland’s death: What’s next?
- Texas and feds both resumed executions: Feds are a bigger deal.
- San Antonio PD can’t fire bad cops: 70% of terminated officers get back on the force.